Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What happens if I enter the wrong "date incurred" for a debt when filing bankruptcy?

I am trying to file bankrupcty without an attourney because quite frankly if I had $1000.00 or more extra dollars laying around to pay a lawyer I wouldn't be filing. Anyway, there are places on the forms where you have to list the "date incurred" for each debt you are including. Some of these debts are very old and I can not remember when I incurred them. Some of them are credit cards and are several charges incurred over a period of time on one account. I am worried that if I enter a wrong "date" it will some how effect the discharge of that debt. For instance if I entered 2004 for a debt actually incurred in 2003, would any amount owed prior to the date I entered (2004) be excluded or would the debt be excluded alltogether if the dates aren't accurate? Will my bankruptcy fail acceptence if the dates are wrong? What are the guidelines?

What happens if I enter the wrong "date incurred" for a debt when filing bankruptcy?
You can get a copy of your credit report. Your credit report will list the date the account was opened. This is what most people do when filing BK. Your credit report will only cost a few bucks.





The listing of a wrong date would probably have no effect on your BK filing. A BK filing normally covers all debts, even those you may unintentionally omit from the paperwork. Some of my accounts had missing information on the credit report listing and my attorney told me to put down my best guess for these accounts. Good Luck


No comments:

Post a Comment